Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A Call to Call

Like many, I see the new year as an opportunity for new beginnings. Where I can look back over what God has done in and through me, and look forward to the directions in which He shall be leading me. I have come to understand that each year God gives me a focal point. A passage of Scripture, a word or phrase or maybe a general sense of direction for the coming year. This focal point is always a combination of what God desires to do in me and in the church that He has called me to shepherd. Last year the word was "transformation." Though I surely do not think that His transforming work in me and in the church is complete, I do sense that He desires to build upon that word. Recently I have been drawn to the word, "restoration," and to chapter 33 of Jeremiah. In Jeremiah 33:3 the LORD says,
"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things that you do not know."
Later, the LORD addresses what He is going to do for them. (see 33:6-9) All this to the end of restoring the fortunes of the land. (33:11c) So, here's what I am thinking, and maybe where you can help me with some ideas, if you would like. I'll keep my question simple, so as to not direct your thoughts too much,
What are the tools of restoration that God will use, is using, to rebuild the church?
What grabs me at this point is how the idea of God restoring seems to work contrary to some of the post-modern thoughts of deconstruction. And yet, when I look at all those who consider themselves post-modern, so many of them have strong desire to rebuild old homes and place front porches on their homes. Speaking of porches, there is a great. albeit long article on the history of the front porch that is quite interesting reading (http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/am483_97/projects/cook/first.htm)

God's blessing on you all!

1 comment:

BAJ said...

I too am desiring God's leading and direction in this new year....time is a precious commodity and I do not like wasting it.....