Friday, January 29, 2010

Back to the Beginning

AT MY AGE, not too old and definitely not too young, I have reached that point where I sometimes forget why I went to a certain room. I stand there looking around, knowing that I came here for a reason, but for the life of me I cannot remember what that reason was.

I have discovered that in times of localized memory loss there are two things I can do to help me remember. First, it is to go back to where I was...a returning to the "beginning of my journey" with the hopes of having my memory "restarted." The second is to enlist others to help me remember, which usually means asking one of my family members, "Do you know why I am here?" To which they often answer by slowly and sadly shaking their heads side-to-side with that worried look that clearly states, "Dad's not losing it, he's lost it."

This need to remember the past so that I can live in the present also applies to my walk as a follow of Jesus Christ. There are times I seem to wake up in this world and wonder, "What am I doing here?" or "What is it that I am supposed to be doing here?" It is this type of situation, and these types of questions that prompted me to set off on a new series of sermon from the book of Genesis.

The purpose of this new series, "Origins: Beginning Again with God," is to take us back to the book of beginnings to be reminded of who God is, and how God works, and what is our relationship with God. My hope and prayer is that as we go back to the beginning we will gain the wisdom and strength that is needed to not only remember why we are here, but so that we can live the lives that God created us to live.

This week we begin with the words that not only begin it all, but form the foundation and framework of all that follows, "In the beginning God..." (Genesis 1:1). If your desirous of joining me on this journey I would also point you to Psalm 148:1-14, here the psalmist reminds us, once again, of why were "in the room."

God bless you on your journey of remembering.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, Randy. I love the approach. God bless you guys on this journey!

Dan-o

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dan-o. Your introduction on this blog article was outstanding, and funny; it was something my mind could immediately relate to! Gary

Anonymous said...

Over the holidays I found myself watching a program called, “What Darwin Never Knew.” At first I watched wondering if some parts of the theory of evolution were actually being questioned by scientists? However, it turned out that they believe subsequent scientific evidence that “Darwin never knew” about would delight him if he were alive today.

For an instant, in disgust, I almost clicked the program off until I remembered a story I heard once of teacher who instructed their students to choose a topic that they felt passionate about and then prepare for a debate. However, before they could argue their own position (the one near and dear to their heart), each side had to take the EXACT OPPOSITE position and debate to the very best of their ability and actually try to sincerely win that debate… in preparation for debating their original point of view.

And 50% of the grade would be based on how well they debated when taking the opposite point of view. What a brilliant idea, I thought for how can we convince someone when engaged in apologetics if we are so sure we are 100% right and they are 100% wrong -- that it simply turns into two people or two debate teams stubbornly butting heads????

It occurred to me that I would have little success convincing any scientifically bent person that there is a God if I refuse to try to see things from their point of view. So I continued watching deliberately trying to give credibility to a “theory” that to me seems almost as laughable as the theory scientists once held that the earth was flat.

Without going into detail, after watching the whole show sincerely trying to understand the evolutionist's point of view, instead I was aghast at how many leaps of faith the "theory" of evolution requires.

Where for instance were the inbetween fossils from the fish that grew stubby legs and feet that supposedly eventually "evolved" into a human being? There were no fossils showing the progression. Zero.

At which point, I really felt disappointed because in order to engage in reasonable apologetics, I feel like I need to at least understand how they could believe as strongly as they do that their “theory” is scientifically accurate????

I don’t worry about defending the creation theory with anger (which I know is never effective apologetics). Nor do I feel threatened or even impatient, but after watching that program, I found myself in a position of feeling amused rather than respectful toward the theory of evolution.

Somehow, I told myself I have to be able to acquire more respect for a position that I find so incredulous that it is almost humorous. I fear I might have flunked the “arguing the opposite side of the debate” if I were a student in that teacher’s class.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that if I am to engage in apologetics with someone heavily invested in an atheistic believe in evolution, the real opposition I must somehow (with the help of the Holy Spirit) overcome is simply human pride because they must have to be heavily invested in the NEED to believe what they do as the scientific proof is so lacking.

Then I find myself once again empathetic as if I am better prepared to discuss the issue with someone who clings to the theory of evolution to support atheism. For human pride is something that I too struggle with on a daily basis and something that I do not find humorous or laughable at all.

While the “proof” of evolution may seem laughable to me, the fact that I may be discussing something with someone who is terrified of having to surrender to a higher power that they cannot even begin to examine under a microscope or dissect or “control” or even begin to fully understand is not funny to me at all. It is human nature to want to be in control.

So I think that watching that program and sincerely trying to see things from an evolutionist's point of view was a good exercise and the beginning of the year is a great time to study Genesis.


gentledove