Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Living in Sodom: Not a Good Thing

The Destruction Of Sodom And Gomorrah, a paint...Image via Wikipedia

SODOM AND GOMORRAH WERE NOT GOOD PLACES TO LIVE, at least not after the LORD got through with them. Talk about declining property values! And what about that house next to the pillar of salt? Needless to say, things were not good for quite some time...in fact, not mush going on in the region still!

As I read the account of the destruction of the cities of the plain my mind races to the thought of just how destructive sin is! Sin can destroy whole cities! And that the sins we commit by commission or omission really do matter. So, as I am giving thought to my sermon this week from Genesis 19:1-38, I am thinking about sin (I know, probably not a good thing to be thinking about) and how we get ourselves into places of sin, and what it takes to get out of, and stay out of, those places. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift of grace through Christ Jesus our Lord! (2 Corinthians 9:12-15)

One way for sure to be begin everyday on our knees in prayer seeking the Lord for both His mercy and His strength. This is one of the reasons last week I called our local church family to prayer. I sought 40 people to pray for 40 days for 4things. They are
  1. My heart to be a habitation for the Holy Spirit.
  2. My home to be a lighthouse for my neighborhood.
  3. My church to be a place of positive impact in our community.
  4. My community to be powerfully touched by the grace of God.
I am sure that there are many other issues to be addressed in regards to making sure that our communities do not become like Sodom or Gomorrah, but I believe the four items of prayer are a great place to start.

Care to join us in prayer?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: