Monday, September 06, 2010

Now THAT was GOD!

IT MAY NOT BE AN APPROVED TEXTING ABBREVIATION, but for years we have used the initials TWG, to declare, That was God! Whenever we would experience an event, or heard a story where it was clear that God has "shown up." Sometimes it was a miraculous healing, or sometimes it was a special gathering with God's people where the Spirit of the Lord was evident, or sometimes it was just that "serendipitous" encounter that was anything but serendipitous. It was clear that is was nothing short of a TWG encounter.

This coming week's sermon text is Genesis 28:1-22 and it most definitley contains a TWG encounter for Jacob. While on his way to seek a wife he has a dream while using a rock for a pillow (I guess that would give you dreams, if not a sleepless night!) In his dream he witnesses a ladder ascending from earth to heaven, and if that is not enough, he hears the voice of God reminding him of the blessing that was given to his forefathers and which will also belong to him. The LORD not only restates the blessing of which Jacob is a part, but He also reminds him of the great truths that He shall never leave him, and that the LORD Himself will accomplish what is needed to bring about the culmination of the blessing!

It is all a pretty amazing TWG moment.

What strikes me, too, is Jacob's comment, "Surely the LORD was in this place and I did not know it." I wonder how many times I am in the "LORD's presence" and I do not know it? How many TWG moments do I miss because I am sleeping with my head upon a soft pillow or am I napping in the relative comfort of my life?

I believe this passage gives us some "clues" as to how to keep ourselves aware of the TWG moments, beside using a rock as a pillow. Care to venture what some of those might be? You can also join us on Sunday to get this pastor's take on it as well.

Sweet dreams!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: