Tuesday, October 12, 2010

PEACE AT ANY COST

WE ALL WANT TO LIVE AT PEACE. But, what price would you be willing to pay in order to live at peace with those around you? Will it be "peace at any cost?"

This coming week's sermon passage is taken from Genesis 32:1-32. It deals with the soon to be coming encounter between the two estranged brothers, Jacob and Esau. (Genesis 25:34 & Genesis 27:1-46) In this story we see Jacob taking steps toward restoration. The twenty years away from his brother seems to have softened Jacob a little. He has been on the receiving end of deception and now worries as to how he will be received by the brother he had cheated. Would there be a warm-welcome or would there be a war? Whatever was to take place, Jacob thought to offer an olive branch of peace to his brother, and a costly one at that.

I am a peace-loving guy. Definitely more dove than hawk, I might even make a good Quaker. I suppose I might even have a bumper sticker on my truck that would read: "Why Can't We All Just Get Along?" I desire peace in my home and my church. I desire peace between brothers and sisters in the family of God and in their families around the hearth. What I do know in all this is that without peace with our Creator there shall never be peace between people.

So, here's the question, as I prepare for the Sunday ahead, "What is the cost of purchasing peace?" I believe Jacob's actions show us a starting place of humility and of initiation. It impinges upon me to start the restorative process and to do so with a heart of true humility.

As I consider those two starting points listed above, my mind moves to the peace which Jesus Christ purchased for us on the Cross. (Revelation 5:9; Revelation 14:4; see also Psalm 74:2) He initiated the restoration of peace with God, and He deeply humbled Himself to attain it. (Philippians 2:5-8)

He who is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6) became the peace-maker (Ephesians 2:14-17). And it is to this work that He has called us as well.

Shalom!


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might be including in you analysis of what brings forth true peace Jesus own words of “Think not that I have come to bring peace on earth, but a sword…” But Jesus also said, “My peace I give unto you…”

Peace can be a spiritual freebee (“give to you”) for those earnestly trying to walk by faith and not by sight: who are not letting their hearts be troubled, neither letting them be afraid. This can be hard to do though, with consistency..

Best wishes on Sunday, Pastor. Gary