Friday, December 24, 2010

I WONDER AS I WANDER

THE CELEBRATION OF THE BIRTH OF JESUS, THE MESSIAH, is soon upon us. May we all come to ponder anew the birth of the One who would take away the sins of the world. (1 John 3:5)

A couple of days ago I woke with the Christmas carol, "I Wonder as I Wander" running through my head. It's been a long time since I have sung that Christmas hymn, but the opening stanza has continued to run through my mind.
I wonder as I wander out under the sky, How Jesus the Savior did come for to die. For poor on'ry people like you and like I... I wonder as I wander out under the sky
I am one who is prone to wander. I wander with Jesus, trying to comprehend the mystery of God taking on flesh, Emmanuel, God with us! (Philippians 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:23) Sadly, sometimes I wander apart from Jesus, the Savior. Needless to say, those are not good "wanderings."

But today I am wondering about this One born to save. What was it like for the eternal God to put on the bindings of human flesh? What was it like for the One who has lived in light inexpressible to now walk in the place of great darkness? It is truly a wonder to ponder!

I invite you to take time this Advent season to stop and ponder anew what the Almighty can do. As you wander the malls and halls, as you wander over the hill and through the woods to grandma's house, take time to experience the wonder that is Emmanuel, God with us. The Christ-Child, born to die, for you and for me.

Blessed Christmas to you!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: