Friday, May 20, 2011

FEAR OR FAITH? HORROR OR HOPE?

WELL IN LIGHT OF RECENT DECLARATIONS THAT THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING THIS SATURDAY -- Check-out Harold Camping's "prediction." -- I guess my upcoming sermon series on the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ is either "a-day-late-and-a-dollar-short" or it's right on time.

What drives you when you consider the end-of-the-world scenarios? Is it fear or is it faith?  Are you thoughts overwhelmed with the horror or the hope of the things to come?  I believe that the message that God reveals in the last book of the New Testament is a message of HOPE given to a church that would in their day experience great horrors. It is a message that the church needs to hear today, as never before.

Time will tell whether Harold Camping is right or wrong.  If he's right, well, "I'm outta here!"  If he's wrong, well that leaves us with more time to share the Good News about God's grace and love poured out in and through Jesus Christ.

In light of the recent predictions, I came across this video dealing with the problems that come when we are driven by fear rather than hope. Enjoy...and let's keep at the work of proclaiming the Good News!


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been leery of anyone that makes solid predictions like Camping's. In fact, to be honest, I get a little nervous around anyone that says that they have Revelation completely figured out.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I know this. That's why I always feel relieved when I read in the first chapter that we're blessed just to read aloud or hear the words of the book. Says nothing about understanding it. ;) I mean, whenever I read it, I get the sense that even John doesn't understand it all, and he was right there. "And... uh... there were these ... um... THINGS, like, I don't know, uh really big grasshoppers coming out of the ground.... HUGE and MEAN... wow."

Revelation is a book of hope, first and foremost, to me. It's a book that says, "Hey, there's some pretty weird stuff gonna be happening, believe you me. But, in the end, God wins. So, it would be in your best interest to be on His side when all this goes down."

Thus ends Dan-o's commentary on Revelation. ;)

Pastor Randy said...

Right-on, Dan-o,

I see the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ, just that, a revealing, a reminder to a suffering church, if you will, of just who Jesus IS! King of kings and LORD of lords!

It is not a book of predictions to be figured out, rather a book of wonder and a reminder of Who's on the Throne!