Thursday, May 19, 2011

HOW LONG, O LORD, HOW LONG?

DURING MY SABBATICAL STUDIES THIS WEEK I have found myself spending time in two different portions of Scripture. Of course, I have been in the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ (getting ready for my sermon series on my return), and I also have been "working through" Psalm 27:1-14.

A couple of days back I was grabbed by a link between these two different sets of Scripture. In Psalm 27:14 we read,
Wait for the LORD,
Be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.
and in Revelation 1:3 we read,
...and take to heart what is written in it for the time is near.
And then Jesus' words recorded at the end of the Revelation in Revelation 22:20
"Yes, I am coming soon!"
How long are we to wait? No matter when exactly we date the writing of the Revelation (early 65AD or late 95AD) it's been 2,000 years of waiting. That is unless you're one of those who hold to the belief that Jesus has already returned, of which I am not, it has been a long wait!

I suppose this is why we are called to "patient endurance" as followers of Jesus Christ. (Revelation 1:9; Revelation 13:10 and Revelation 14:12) It all comes down to a matter of trust, doesn't it?  It was trust that the Children of Israel were called to in the wilderness as they awaited for daily quota of manna and quail (Exodus 16:31-35). It was faith and trust that the disciples were called to as they saw Jesus taken from them into the clouds (Acts 1:1-11). And the issue has been one of trust and faith ever since.

So, we shall wait, and call out with the church throughout the ages,
"Maranatha! Lord, come quickly!"

No comments: