Monday, May 23, 2011

NAG! NAG! NAG! NAG!

ApocalypseImage by Rich Man via FlickrFIRST OF ALL I AM NOT REFERRING TO MY WIFE. Second, given the recent study topic (see previous posts regarding sermon series in the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ), I could be referring to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. But, in reality, I am referring to some much less tantalizing (hearing about problems in the Kay household) or some much more traumatic (the Four Horsemen). No, I am referring to those things that nag at many of us just as we are trying our best to do our best.


Allow me to enumerate. (Please bear with me, I'll get to where it touches the Revelation study)

Nag #1 -- A biological system that refuses to cooperate. I am watching my diet, taking the prescribed medications and still the blasted internal system refuses to work correctly (Don't ask for details, you don't want to know!)


Nag #2 -- A physiological/muscular breakdown. Try to keep in shape. Keep the weight in check, the body active and healthy and my right knee refuses to cooperate. Hobbling an already s-l-o-w runner.

Nag #3 -- The spiritual man that refuses to cooperate and gives in to the old nature just when you think you're getting things in check and moving forward following Jesus.

Nag #4 -- A world's system, including the church of which it is a part, telling me that simply the Triune God and His living and active Word is not enough.  I am truly amazed that the disciples ever got this church thing off the ground without the theological, ecclesiastical, sociological and managerial library demanded that every pastor possess. Case in point. For my study in the Book of Revelation I purchased a three volume commentary of 1,242 pages of commentary (not including the 211 pages of introduction in the first volume or the scores of pages of indexes!) Please note the TNIV version of the Book of Revelation which I own consists of 18 pages, and one can read it aloud in about an hour and twenty minutes.

So, you've now met the Four Nags. And now you're asking how does this sabbatical rampage fit into my study of the Book of Revelation? Well, no-tongue in-cheek intended, but I am beginning to get a better idea of what the angel was referring to in Revelation 14:12, "This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commands and remain faithful to Jesus." (Also in Revelation 1:9 and Revelation 13:10)

Now, I realize the "nags" I am facing is nothing like pains and agony the church has faced throughout the ages, but I can be reminded that all of these things that we each face we are called to face with patient endurance, with our eyes firmly focused upon Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-3), because the Lord is coming and His reward is with Him and that He is faithful to see each of us through whatever "nags" we face, small or large. 

If the Book of Revelation teaches us anything it is that we can hope in this life because we can have confidence in the One who is making a home for us, and has promised to return to take us to be with Him. To take us to that place where every tear will be wiped away, where there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain...or those things that nag us! (Revelation 21:4-5)

Maranatha!

1 comment:

Linda : ) said...

Thanks for making it clear from the get-go that you weren't referring to me. : )