Thursday, June 02, 2011

APOCALYPSE NOW?


BY THE LOOK OF THINGS I couldn't have chosen a better time to begin a sermon series in the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

Choose any television station's nightly news and it seems like The Apocalypse is knocking on our door. Tsunamis, floods, town-devouring tornadoes, wars, rumors of wars, prophetic voices declaring the end of the world. Add to that whole nations running into debt default status, job losses, new flu epidemics looming, kings and presidents being run out of town and nuclear threats from areas that we not so long ago considered "backward."  Yessireebob, if there was ever a time to preach through the Book of Revelation, this would be it.

I would like to say I planned it that way...but then again, I surely would not want to be blamed for the crisis that are rising on every corner of the world.  No, let's just say it's time to preach through this book of hope.

"A book of hope?", you may ask.  Yes, I realize that the Book of Revelation is filled with all kinds of horrendous looking beasts and gruesome sounding events, but I truly believe that most of all it is a book of hope. It was just the words, pictures and reminders that the church in the first century needed to hear, especially in light of the persecution they were experiencing in ever-increasing measure. And I believe, it is just the words we need to hear today.


The title I have chosen for this new series is, "Hope During the Hard Times." And by all looks of it these are in fact "hard times."  I know lots of people have lots of questions about this final book in the Canon of Scripture.  We want to know "names, dates, and places."  We want to figure just who is the Antichrist? (I believe we can safely assume it is no longer Hitler or Henry Kissinger.) And of course we want to know just when Jesus is coming back? (And again, I believe we can safely assume it was not May 21, 2011.) Well, to be completely honest, I don't know if I'll be able to answer any of those questions, at least to the satisfaction of some, but I do hope that through this study we will see the revelation that Jesus desired the Apostle John to see and to communicate to the church...of which we are still a part 2000 years later.


As always, I welcome your thoughts and questions...even your honest musings.  If you're in the area (Felton, California) stop and and join us, we begin on Sunday mornings at 9:30, and of course, we'll do our best to get the sermons uploaded to our website (www.feltonbiblechurch.org) in a timely manner.


I leave you with Revelation 1:3,
"Blessed is the one who read aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed is those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near."
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: