Wednesday, June 08, 2011

JESUS, WHAT A FRIEND!


JESUS TOLD HIS DISCIPLES that He would not refer to them as servants, but as friends (John 15:15) and it is safe to say that the Apostle John was one of Jesus' closest friends. Though I am sure Jesus would never really play favorites.

This friendship with Jesus is one of the wonderful truths upon which we hold as Christians.  That we do not need to cower before some tyrant God, but we can know that Jesus, our Lord and Savior, is also our friend.

The danger is that we can take this "friendship" for granted. We can too often focus on the truth of Jesus' friendship with us to the exclusion of the reality that He is God, the LORD. This reality is born out in the opening section of the Book of Revelation, and it sets the tone of the whole of the revelation that is given to John, the "beloved disciple." (John 13:23; John 21:20)


In my introductory sermon (Hope During the Hard Times), I made mention to the fact that one of the key foci of the Book of Revelation is worship, and that in all that we read throughout the Revelation worship of Jesus occurs over and over again.


As we move forward in our study our response must be like that of the Apostle John, recorded in Revelation 1:17-18
"When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as though dead. Then He placed His right hand on me and said, 'Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys to death and Hades.'"
This must be our proper response at all times.  To fall before the One who is King of kings and Lord of lords (Revelation 19:16), and as He desires to be lifted up by His powerful and gracious hands.


I encourage you to join me in this ongoing study of the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. (If you're in the area join us for worship at Felton Bible Church) I welcome your thoughts and questions.  I may not be able to answer them all to your satisfaction, but I pray that together we will gain, with all the saints, a better understanding of who Jesus is, and how we are to be prepared to meet Him when He comes to take us home. (John 14:1-4)


Until that day, may the gracious Lord grant us His strength and peace for the journey.


Maranatha!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: