Tuesday, August 23, 2011

THE SEVEN-MINUTE-SABBATH CHALLENGE


THIS PAST SUNDAY I CHALLENGED our Sunday morning service to join me in a Seven-Minute-Sabbath-Challenge.

The Challenge was to take 7 minutes everyday of silence before the LORD. To help facilitate this time I suggested that they take a portion of the Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) as a guide to their thoughts.  This Seven-Minute-Sabbath was not to be a time of asking or giving thanks, or even of praising God, rather it was to be a time of silent listening for the Voice of God.

I broke up the week in the following manner:
Monday: Matthew 6:9
Tuesday: Matthew 6:10
Wednesday: Matthew 6:11
Thursday: Matthew 6:12
Friday: Matthew 6:13
Saturday: For Thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, Forever
I then added to the Challenge by encouraging each person to find someone this week, who is not a follower of Jesus Christ, and simply ask them, "What comes to your mind when you hear the name Jesus Christ?" Their purpose, here again, is not to try to "save" the person or have an opportunity to share the Four Spiritual Laws, but rather just to listen and learn.

I don't know this will go this week, but I know this, I am praying that God, our Abba, will speak to each one in a way that is very clear, so that they can give witness to the reality of a God who speaks.

I challenge you, readers of this blog, to join the family at Felton Bible Church as together we seek to learn the blessed discipline of taking Sabbath, a gift that God as given to us. (Mark 2:23-28)  I would love to hear how it went with you.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: