Wednesday, January 25, 2012

ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!


AS THIS PAST SUNDAY'S FORTY-NINERS LOSS CAN SADLY PROVE: ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE! (I use the word "sadly" rather than "tragically" because after all it was just a football game)

Our sermon text for this coming Sunday (January 29, 2012) is Acts 1:12-26. (The second in a new series: "Acting Out: Becoming the Church God Desires Us to Be") In this text we listen in on the conversation amongst the Apostles about the need to replace Judas, since, well how can we nicely say this, he didn't get the picture about who Jesus was until it was a little too late. 


Judas made a difference, just one guy, but he made a huge, albeit negative impact. Now the Apostles were looking for someone to replace him. That someone had to meet certain qualifications, and then be "voted" in by the casting of lots with the belief (faith) that the Holy Spirit would show them the correct individual.


As I was pondering the text my mind drifted to the many who made a difference in my life. Thankfully, there were more good difference-makers than bad. And this got me wondering if those of you out there in blogland would be willing to share with us those who made a positive impact in your life?


So, what say you?  
Care to share?  
I would love to hear your story.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Linda : ) said...

The obvious answer is YOU! But so as not to make others gag in my outpouring of how you made a difference in my life, let me share two others. The first one negative, the second one positive.

The first was my piano teacher when I was about 11 or 12 years old. After one lesson she said, "You are the most uncoordinated student I have ever had!" In my head I knew the true reason I did poorly was that I hadn't practiced all week. But that comment stuck with me. It became so much a part of me that years later when thinking about going out for drill team her comment (in her awful voice) replayed in my head, "You are the most uncoordinated student I have ever had."

But then there was Ted Hutchinson, my Day Camp Director. Ted saw potential in me. He took the time to take me where I was and give me the tools I needed to move me forward. He taught me how to study the Bible so I could teach the Bible, not only to kids but to my peers. He gave me step-by-step instructions to complete a craft that would impress 1st graders (Previously,I had announced to him that I would do anything but crafts as I was such a klutz when it came to arts and crafts.) That was enough to give me confidence to launch a love for arts and crafts.

Yes, one person can make a difference -- some for bad but fortunately, some for good.

Unknown said...

George Walter: The first and most important person in my life was my mother. She was a brilliant, accomplished teacher, translator, musician, missionary/pastor's wife and mother. From her, I experienced unconditional love and quiet, but deep approval. She made certain that I knew Jesus Christ both from scripture and by her living Him out before my eyes. I cannot remember her ever saying an unkind word, nor losing her temper and becoming ungracious. She made sure that I hid God's word in my heart, and prayed me through the quandries of childhood, youth and up to mid adult life with unfailing grace and power. She was the epitome of the fruit of the Spirit.