Friday, February 17, 2012

ENOCH WAS NO MORE

FRIDAY MORNINGS my associate pastor and I spend about an hour in prayer together. We use a portion of the Scriptures to be our prayer guide for that time, allowing the Holy Spirit to stir our spirits through the Word of the Lord. Today my prayer-partner chose Hebrews 11. We both thought it would be a good passage because of what we had been learning as a church body about the spiritual gift of faith that is quite prevalent within our church family.

As we got to our knees in prayer we both wondered aloud how this passage would work as a guide to prayer. Often we use one of the Psalms or one of the "prayers" of Scripture which lend themselves more to be a guide to prayer, than our passage for the morning.  But once again, the Holy Spirit surprised us by giving a good solid direction for our time of prayer.


The one verse that grab me right toward the beginning of our prayer was Hebrews 11:5 that speaks of the faith of Enoch and how he did not see death but rather walked with God and he was seen no more. I have often prayed a prayer of Enoch for the senior adults of our church, that they would walk so close to the Lord that when the time of their death would approach they would simply and quietly walk home with the Lord. But today I was struck by another thought in regards to Enoch, faith, and me.


I saw in Enoch what we as followers of Jesus are to be. We are to be walking closer and closer to Jesus everyday, that one day we cease to be. We may well be still alive, but Randy as a person is so surrendered to the Lord, that it is Jesus that is now seen, not Randy. Will I ever get there, if I do it will only be by the grace of God, but it is still the life we are called to live.


Jesus said, if any man would seek to follow Him, that one would have to pick up their cross (die to self) in order to be His follower. (Luke 9:23) The Apostle Paul would declare, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21) and in Paul's letter to the church in Galatia, Paul states that it is no longer he who lives but it is Christ who lives in and through him. (Galatians 2:20)


So, I guess, my call of faith this week, and on through my life, should be to walk as Enoch. Closer and closer to the LORD each day, until that time when I am no longer seen, only Jesus.  This shall make a good meditation for our time of fasting during this soon to arrive period of Lent.


Oh, LORD that we would all walk in the steps of the saints of old be they Enoch or Paul, so that You would be our life and that You would be seen.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: