Monday, September 17, 2012

SEEKING JESUS?

I CAN REMEMBER PLAYING hide-and-seek with my kids when they were young. I always knew where they were hiding (giggling usually gave them away), but I would pretend to not know, and walk right by them. Some may call it dishonesty, I call it making the game fun for my kids. I would call out, “Now where could they be?” knowing they were right in front of me hiding in the closet. All good fun, that’s for sure.
I have sometimes seen people seeking for Jesus in much the same way I was seeking for my kids. He is right in front of them and for some reason, fear, lack of faith, disobedience, or true lack of desire, they seem to look right at Him and then walk past. They call out His Name, they may even hear a still small voice giving away the truth of His presence, but they ignore the signs and simply walk away. So close and yet so far away.
What’s the key for finding Jesus? Well, the Old Testament gives us a starting point. In Jeremiah 29:13 the LORD says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”  The first step to finding Jesus is to make our search the deep-longing of our heart; more than money, or a good life, or even eternal life for that matter, but to seek God with ALL our heart. In the New Testament, Jesus tells His followers, “But seek first the Kingdom of God…” (Matthew 6:33). Therein lies the crux for many; it is seeking God’s kingdom first. And what is that Kingdom? Well, it is more than just a location in space and time. Rather it is the full submission (surrender) to the rule of God in our lives.
 I think this is what hinders so many from truly finding Jesus. They seek Him for salvation, for healing, for belonging, for comfort, all good things mind you, but the call is to seek Jesus with ALL our heart and for HIS rule in all our life.  These two elements are key to “finding Jesus.”
For what do you seek today? Are you seeking for Jesus? Then dear friend,  may you do so with ALL your HEART and for HIS COMPLETE RULE in your life. Then you will truly find Him, and what a great discovery that will be!

No comments: