Wednesday, October 10, 2012

POLITICALLY SPEAKING...


IN LESS THAN A MONTH WE WILL BE SELECTING the next President of the United States of America. As usual, we are called to give serious and thoughtful consideration to the abilities and agendas of those who seek this position of power and control. This is no less true for those of us who are looking forward to the establishment of God’s Kingdom in its fullness.

Those of you who know me know that I am not one to jump into the political fray, and this edition of the Pastor's Study is not a change in my normal apolitical stance. That is not to say I don’t have strong feelings, but my concern goes far deeper than who the next President will be, rather it goes to what will the church of Jesus Christ be as we await His promised return.

Many in our church family have been reading through the Bible this year and if you’re somewhere close to being on schedule you most likely read from Jeremiah chapters 5 and 6. As I read this prophecy against Israel, and Jerusalem in particular, I could not help but see the prophecy being spoken to the church in America.

Let me be clear. I do not believe that America has replaced the Nation of Israel in God’s eye.  At the risk of making a few enemies, I don’t think America, nor any nation for that matter ought to see itself as the “New Israel” or the “New Jerusalem,” that’s just a little too haughty thinking in my mind.

That being said, I do believe that the words of the LORD, through the prophet Jeremiah, do strike right at the heart of the church in America today. The LORD said through the prophet, “How can I pardon you? For even your children turned from Me. They have sworn by gods that are not gods at all!(Jeremiah 5:7) And what is true of the children in our nation is true of the parents (and the church) who have raised them. We should take seriously the words spoken to the nation that was thinking they were “above the judgment” of the LORD.

We would do well to read those chapters and be humbled, for the LORD declares, “Listen you foolish and senseless people, with eyes that do not see and ears that do not hear. Have you no respect for Me? Why don’t you tremble in My presence?” (Jeremiah 5:21-22).

Whoever wins the election will be decided by the nation as a whole, but how we live as God’s people will be decided by each one of us who call Jesus of Nazareth, Savior and Lord.

How then shall we live, O church of the living God?

No comments: