Monday, November 05, 2012

DO IT NOW!


MY MOM WAS THE “THANK-YOU NOTE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF.” Almost as soon as the last friend had left my birthday party she was handing me a stack of thank-you cards to fill out and put in the mail. I know it sounds hard to believe, but sometimes I think she had thank-you cards filled out before she even got a gift from someone. Scary, I know.

The truth of the matter was this; my mom wanted me to express my gratefulness for a gift received promptly and even if I wasn’t too fond of the gift. There was a fine line between the telling of the truth about a gift and the greater importance of saying, “Thank you.” But the truth be known, I really do thank my mom for instilling in me the importance of maintaining and expressing a grateful heart. Her discipline has served me well over the years and now falls upon me to impress this important social etiquette to my children, who do pretty well and I am sure my mom is smiling down from heaven…with thankfulness, of course.

November is the month that our hearts turn toward giving thanks. I suppose it has something to do with a healthy dose of turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie and Hallmark cards that keeps thankfulness ever before our eyes, but it should be more than that.

We are called to be thankful because of all that God has lavished upon us; from the food on our table to the air in our lungs The problem is, how do I get a thank-you card to God up in heaven? How does one give thanks for all the God has given to us? Allow me to share four places we can start:

Confession. Not of sin at this point but the confession that every good and perfect gift comes from God above. (James 1:17)

Contentment. Learning to be satisfied with what we have. Learning to live satisfied lives rather than satiated ones. (1 Timothy 6:6)

Consistency. Make giving thanks a regular part of your day. It’s one reason we say “Grace” before we eat. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-22)

Community. Be an active part of a thankful group of those who are following Jesus Christ. (Psalm 100 among others done within the Community of Faith.)

In this time of thanks-giving, I encourage you to take time each day to give thanks to the Lord, and it wouldn’t hurt to write a thank-you card to a friend either. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: