Monday, May 13, 2013

SPIRITUAL MOMS


OFTEN, I HAVE HEARD PEOPLE REFER to certain individual as their spiritual fathers. Seldom have I heard of people referring to their spiritual mothers. While I am sure they exist, they are not spoken of in general conversations regarding our personal spiritual growth.

I think it is time for that trend to change, and Mother’s Day seems like a great day to begin that new trend.

Personally, I have been blessed to have had a number of “spiritual moms.” Often they tended to be more in the realm of spiritual grandmas. Their impact into my life was not something that was scheduled or even known by them, but through their lives, words of challenge and encouragement they built into my life. These women were (are) women of temperance and grace. They exhibit a high trust in the Lord, for a number of them are widows. There quiet longsuffering, consistent prayer, love of God’s Word and selfless service to the Lord and His church have taught me much as I have sought to learn what it is to be a follower of Jesus Christ, and to endeavor to be a shepherd to His flock.

So, on this Mother’s Day, I want to pay tribute to my moms-in-Christ. Thank you for your prayers, your kind words and even the occasional kick-in-the-pants. God bless you for the quiet example of steadfast faithfulness. May God bless you richly as you have been a blessing to me and to many others as well.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: