Sunday, May 26, 2013

THE CATHARTIC BLOG

SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED TO BLOG YOUR THOUGHTS in order to get things of your chest and out of your spirit so that you can think more clearly.  Consider this one of those blog-posts.

The catharsis is arriving from the book I am reading (started reading it for Lizzie's sake to see if I could help her move her photography future on a little bit.) The book is by Michael Hyatt entitled, Platform: Getting Noticed in a Noisy World, and of course, once I started reading it the lessons proved be personally-focused into my own little world.

In the beginning of the book Mr. Hyatt writes about one of the first things needed in building your platform is having something to sell or say that contain a "Wow!" factor. Kind of like coming through the Wawona Tunnel and seeing Yosemite Valley expanding before you. As I thought about the wow factor to my platform (preaching, teaching, pastoring) I realized I didn't have one.

I am saddened by the reality that I cannot seem to place my finger on that wow factor even as it relates to my relationship with Christ, His covenant, His commands or His church. Now, I know some of you who are reading this who know me maybe disagreeing with me, or worried about me, if you are thank you...may that lead you to prayer for me. But the reality is that none of these things seem  to be producing the wow factor that I need and that I desire.

This all saddens me because it makes me think that I have settled into the "Methodological Mediocrity of Ministry. My prayer is, "LORD, how do I escape and return to the "wow" of You and Your work?

I suppose this is a good question to poise to each of us from time to time. Some of the answer, I guess, is found in the Scriptures at the bottom of my journal pages of the last two days (interesting how that just seems to happen.)

"If you want to know what God wants your to do -- ask Him, and He will gladly tell you." (James 1:5)

"Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. (Psalm 51:10)

Good places to start for this cathartic heart.

No comments: