Monday, July 29, 2013

THE NEW WHITE

IF WHITE IS THE NEW BLACK, THEN WHAT’S THE NEW WHITE? It seems that with every new year, or at least with every new fashion season, what was once considered the basic color by which all other colors are measured, changes.  This might be good news for fashion designers and fashionista’s, but for regular folk like me, we just get lost in the mirage of what looks like 64 shades of gray.

It used to be that black was black and that was that. But now, according to the design team at Herman Miller we can now get their hot selling Aeron Office Chair in True Black. Really? True black?  Bear with me here, but it’s either black or it’s not.  This is just another case of true black is the new black, which I guess means that “other” black chair is  . . . off-black?  Which in my limited box of 64 crayons, that would be gray.

Sadly, what has become variant in color, has also seeped into the entire realm of what is true. It goes something like this, in the name of tolerance all is true, at least as far as we can know it. WHAT?! Call me old-fashioned, (go ahead it will not hurt my feelings…much) but if something is not true, then it is false, not just less true. Now, I am not a philosopher, nor the son of a philosopher, I fall more in the Prophet Amos category of fig-picker and simple shepherd (Amos 7:14). I am sure someone could rightfully argue that two disparaging different things can be true, but I am hard-pressed to know what that would be.

We live in a culture today that is afraid of an absolute truth. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the culture is afraid of an absolute anything. If we had an absolute truth, then we must abide by it or be found to be wrong, and we certainly don’t want to be wrong!

But the truth is, I do believe that there are absolute truths, and those truths given to us by a loving, compassionate Creator, were given for our own good and even enjoyment. As the Scriptures declare, “Then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” (John 8:32) Truth is given to bring us to a place of freedom and in that freedom joy. To hold to the belief that there is no truth, in the absolute sense, or to concede that absolute truth is unknowable, does not set us free, rather it places us in deeper bondage.


I hold to the belief that there is truth, and it is knowable, not in some abstract sense, but personally and intimately in the One who is the Truth, “Jesus the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:16) Know Him. Know Truth.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: