Wednesday, July 02, 2014

FOLLOWING JESUS MADE EASY

LET’S JUST COME OUT AND ADMIT IT, living like Jesus can be incredibly difficult and frustrating at times. He is God, and of course we are not, and yet we are called to be conformed to His image. (Romans 8:29) I doubt the Heavenly Father would ask us to do something that was impossible. It’s one reason He has given us the Holy Spirit, to give us the wisdom and strength to see His image formed in us.

During my sabbatical I spent some time in a book by Peter Scazzero entitled, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. At one point Scazzero states what he sees as the “goal of the Christian life,” which is to “love well.” Two simple words yet packed with incredible power if we would appropriate them to our daily lives.

Of course the idea to “love well” is not original with the author. It was our Lord Jesus who reminds us that the greatest commandment is to “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment and the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

So, there we have it; following Jesus made easy. All we need to do on a daily basis is to continually ask ourselves the question throughout the day, “Are we loving well?” Is this thought I am thinking prove forth my love for God, or my love for my neighbor. Does this purchase I am making express my love for God and for my neighbor? Do the words proceeding from my mouth declare my love for God or my love for my neighbor?  You see how this flows? How easy it can be?

One more thought.

We also need to love ourselves well. We are admonished in Scripture to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. (Matthew 22:39; Mark 12:31) If we are living in the midst of self-hatred and self-loathing then it will be nearly impossible to love God and our neighbor well. Remember that this love of self is based in another wonderful truth held within the Word of God and that is that God loves you! (John 3:16, Romans 5:8)


I guess it all comes down to this, we are able to love well because we were (are) loved well. (1 John 4:19)  Therefore, let us choose to love well today!

No comments: