Monday, July 21, 2014

I COULDN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

THIS PAST WEEK COMMISSIONERS of Osceola, Florida bowed their heads in prayer as an atheist delivered the invocation at the local council meeting.

Invocation: a noun: the act of invoking or calling upon a deity, spirit, etc. for aid, protection, inspiration or the like; supplication,” thus states the entry at Dictionary.com.

So, my question is just who or what was this atheist invoking? Why were the commission members bowing their heads?  One commissioner said it was out of habit.

I really can’t say what’s the most troubling; atheist’s praying, people bowing without thinking, or that the nature of being a nation of inclusion has gone this far. Others are also happy that this has taken place, one such group being the ministers of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster their members referred to as Pastafarians.  (I told you I couldn’t make this stuff up!) They believe this new “openness” will help their mission which is to parody religion. REALLY!

As I read the article, which made the front page in the Wall Street Journal, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry or spit.  I didn’t spit because my mom taught me that was dirty. What I did do was to shiver at how low the idea of prayer has become and to wonder if that low view of prayer even pervades the pews of the evangelical church?  When we bow our heads, fold our hands and close our eyes are we truly conscious of the eternal sovereign God we are invoking?  When we call  upon His Name, should we not at least pause with a shudder of fearful respect? I mean what if He heard? What if He responded?

Wait a minute! Why are we asking if? Remember, we’re not making this stuff up!

No comments: