Sunday, August 10, 2014

BEHIND THE BEDROOM DOOR

ON THE BACK OF OUR BEDROOM DOOR is a series of hieroglyphics. Names, numbers, various lines, dates, all of them related to the heights of our children, most often that of Lizzie and Jordan, with mom and dad marked for good measure.

We tried to measure our kids every year on their birthdays to see how they’ve grown, this year was no exception. One evening this past week, as I sat in my bedroom reading chair with the door shut I was drawn to the newest marking for Jordan who just turned fourteen. If I remember correctly he measured in at sixty-five and a quarter inches. What caught my eye next was his name toward the bottom of the door, a whopping thirty-four inches at age two. A difference of thirty-one and a quarter (and believe me, those quarter inches matter, especially when you’re working at passing up your sister!)

As I tearfully considered all the markings on the back of the door I was caught by the thought, when did he get so tall? Where did those thirty-one and a quarter inches pop into being? Obviously, it wasn’t over-night, though at times it seems like it was. When did he get from three to fourteen? It wasn’t in the blink-of-an-eye, or was it? The toddler was now continuing through his teenage years, and in four years, maybe off to college.

I pondered how I did thus far as a dad? Have I imparted any wisdom, have I helped move him toward physical, emotional, intellectual and most importantly spiritual maturity? I pray I have, but staring at the back of the door it’s all gone by so fast!

I’m humbled (he’s a great young man.) I’m challenged (there’s so much yet to know.) I’m scared (do I have what it takes?) You’d think that after four kids you’d have this down to a science, but I was never that good at science, though I love gazing into the star-filled night sky.  So, that’s what I’ll continue to do, stare up into heaven and pray, “Lord, help me raise this young man in the way that he should go, so that when he is old he will not depart from Thee.” (Proverbs 22:6)

Amen!

No comments: