Sunday, October 05, 2014

I WANDER . . .

THERE IS A NOTE UNDER THE GLASS on my desk that my daughter Lizzie gave me which says, “Not All Who Wander Are Lost.” To which my pessimistic mind responds, “Yeah, but there are a few who don’t have a clue where they’re headed.

The truth is I love to wander. Since childhood my mind wandered, and I enjoyed a vivid imagination. Both of those can get a kid in trouble, both in the classroom (the wandering part) and late at night (the imagination part, you know those monsters under the bed well they’re . . . let’s not go there, little kids may be reading this.)

I still like to wander. I like to wander in the woods. I like to take hikes from our home to Wilder State Park and then to Santa Cruz. And the thing about my wanton wandering, I like to do it alone. I know there can be mountain lions and rabid raccoons in the woods, but there is something about being alone that is good. I don’t like being lonely, but I do like being alone. In the spiritual disciplines of the Christian faith we call that solitude.

Solitude is of vital importance to maturing in our spiritual lives. It is a time when we get away from artificial stimulus, yes that means no cell phones or books, and spend an agenda-less time with God.

Solitude is not a time for Bible study, though Scripture hidden in your heart (Psalm 119:11) can be put to good use. It is not necessarily seeking wisdom on some deep need, though wisdom may arise. It is a time to be alone with God.

Solitude may take place during a walk in the woods, or sitting in your favorite chair gazing out the window or sitting on the warm sand of a secluded beach, but wherever your solitude finds you, that place is holy ground. (Exodus 3:5)

I encourage you, if you’re seeking to grow spiritually, to plan times of wandering with God. For those who wander with God shall never be lost.