Sunday, October 26, 2014

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

I HAVE BEEN DOING “WHAT’S IN THE BOX?” for over a quarter of a century. Yikes! When I see that typed-out it makes me feel old! (25 years x 52 weeks, give or take a few.) I have seen LOTS of different items, some easier to discern than others, but I don’t think I've ever been stumped.

Actually, it’s one of my favorite times of the morning worship service. There’s nothing quite like sitting with a bunch of kids whose eyes are fixed on the box, just waiting to see what it holds. Truthfully, I know they don’t always follow the object lesson, but it’s great fun, and some lessons are learned. And of course, I just love being with the kids. They seem to “get it” more times than not.  It’s that child-like faith. (Matthew 18:1-9)

Kids, boxes, surprises, and an important story of God’s love, that’s what Operation Christmas Child is all about. A simple box, filled with simple things, bringing the extraordinary message of God’s love.  I guess it’s not such a “simple box” after all.

For the past 17 years Felton Bible Church has been actively collecting shoeboxes filled with the love of God, as well as some toys, toothpaste, socks, all sorts of special items, and sending them through the ministry of Samaritan’s Purse around the world. Over those years we've collected hundreds of boxes and each one of them finds the perfect recipient, at the perfect place, at the perfect time, God’s time!

Can you imagine what it would be like to sit in some far away village and gaze into eyes’ of a child that are filled with expectancy and wonder as they open up a special box created just for them?  I don’t know who would be the most excited the child or me, but I am sure my eyes would be filled with tears of joy.


What’s in the box? Well, you can decide a lot of the details, but one thing is for sure it’s to be filled with your prayers and your love and when it is we know that God’s love will travel with it, too.  Let’s get packing!

No comments: