Sunday, October 12, 2014

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

WHAT IS IT, Randy or Randal? Why, in fact, the name change? Well, it’s a long story, but let me see if I can relate it in a short manner, with some Biblical precedent.

First, Randal is my given name and Randy was a name I assumed sometime in my unremembered childhood. It served me well, but as I moved through this recent time of challenge and growth, with many changes in my understanding of myself spiritually and emotionally, I have taken some steps to mark the positive and desired changes. Reassuming my given name was one of those steps.

As stated above, this is not without Biblical precedent. Consider Genesis 32:22-32 where Jacob wrestles with the LORD all night. Pleading for a blessing the LORD changes his name to Israel and then breaks his hip which will give the newly renamed Jacob a forever reminder of his struggle with and his blessing from the LORD.

This past week I have been meditating (that’s a Biblical concept, see: Psalm 1) on Isaiah 43:1-7. In verse one Isaiah writes,
But now, this is what the LORD says –
He who created you, Jacob,
He who formed you, Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name, you are Mine.

God created me. He placed me in my mother’s womb, where I was made in the darkness, but not without the spark of His Image. Now, God is continuing to form me into that Image that was marred by sin. He is doing His good work of conforming to the Image of His Son. (Romans 8:28-29) In that process, changing my name and my character.


I asked for His blessing and He broke me, I guess that’s the way it works. I wish I could say I’m walking straight and the limp is gone, but I believe it shall forever be a part of me, there to remind me of my blessings and the need I will always have to lean on Him.

No comments: