Monday, January 12, 2015

MIRROR, MIRROR, ON THE WALL

A COUPLE MONTHS BACK I joined Toadal Fitness, still not quite sure about the name, but it’s a nice place to work up a sweat. I’m hoping (or should that be hopping?) to lose a few unwanted pounds and keep myself healthy. But my progress is not the theme of this little tome.

I just want to know what is it with gyms and gigantic mirrors? For those of us not in the best shape the last thing we really want to see is MORE of ourselves, and give other people more angles to look at our out-of-shape-ness. For those who are in shape they really don’t need to look at themselves; that’s rather narcissistic in my book.

There’s even this huge mirror in the dressing room. I can understand a mirror over a sink so you can see if your part is straight (not a problem for me!) or if your tie is tied nicely (that is a problem for me!), but this mirror must be 8 feet by 8 feet! And it’s right where everybody gets dressed!  You get the picture? Sorry, T.M.I.!!

So, here’s my point, I think I’m troubled by these huge mirrors because of what they reflect back to me and those around me. There’s no hiding. Our lives are like mirrors, thus, the question is, “What does my life reflect when it comes to my relationship with God and my life as a Christian?”

Most of us are afraid of what people will think or say . . . “He’s not in very good shape!”, and so we just keep covered up. But what we need to realize is, it’s ok for people to see us how we are, in fact most people would rather see the “regular guy” than the one so puffed-up with muscles that he can’t even bend over to tie his shoes.

Don’t worry about what other people think, just keep showing up at God’s Gym and work out your salvation with fear and trembling and let the mirror tell the story.  It’s better than sitting on the couch at home eating bon-bons!


No comments: