Sunday, February 22, 2015

OUR FAMILY IS CHANGING!!!

NO, LINDA IS NOT PREGNANT, nor are any new grandchildren on the way . . . that I know of, but still our family is changing. It seems like every day my grandkids are learning new things. My older children are deep into developing loving families, Lizzie is excelling in her Biblical Studies Major at Biola and Jordan, well, I think he’ll be the tallest one pretty soon. (And most definitely the funniest, not to mention smart. No brag, just fact!) It’s actually a good thing that families change and grow, though at times I do miss the antics of my children’s younger years.

My family is not the only family that is changing of course, your family is too and so is our church family. Sometimes family change is expected and comes with joy and anticipation, and other times the change is unexpected and may even bring an amount of sorrow and grief. It is part of life, as they say.

The church family in America is changing. In some ways it is getting older, we Baby-Boomers are not so much babies or booming much.  The younger generation is so radically different in its connections and its outlook on life that how we minister must also be radically different. No more turning pages in our Bibles, we swipe right to left and up and down. Add to that the changing ethnic and societal/cultural changes and the church is quickly becoming almost unrecognizable to the preceding generations.

Now, we could cry and bemoan the changes or we could learn to enjoy them, as I learn to enjoy my grandchildren crawling and climbing. Yes, it means at home that we must put away some of the “precious crystal” but it’s worth it just to enjoy the grandkids in all their exuberance.

So, our church family is changing, let’s face it, it’s not the 1950’s (or 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s or even 2000.)  I’m excited to turn the church over to the new generation, and personally I’m working to see that accomplished in my life time.

With this caveat: The LORD God must be worshiped and obeyed. The Bible must be preached for the truth that it is and the Gospel preached unto every nation, including ours, until the Lord returns to take us home!


Until then, welcome our ever-changing family!

No comments: