Sunday, May 31, 2015

NOT WHAT I PLANNED!

THIS WEEK LINDA AND I WILL CELEBRATE thirty-eight years of marriage, and to be honest with you, it’s not at all what I thought it would be!  Whoa! Wait a minute, put down the rocks! Let me explain.

When I saw my beautiful bride walking down that long aisle at Garden Grove Community Church on June 3, 1977, I remember thinking to myself, “What is this I am getting into?”  It wasn’t a question of doubt; I REALLY wanted to be married to Linda! It wasn’t a question of fear; I knew this would be a great adventure! It was more a question of how am I going to be the husband that Linda deserves and what is this thing called marriage all about?

As the title describes marriage is not what I had planned, it’s not that it’s bad, it’s the fact that I had nothing planned.  I was just in love. I knew that Linda was the one for me. And I was pretty sure she felt the same way toward me. I didn’t really know what was next, and I could have never planned or guessed, or even imagined the great life God had planned for us.

Moving, pastoring, schooling, children, grand-children, ups and downs, joys and sorrows, great memories and a couple we’d like to forget. Yes, I can most definitely say, “It’s not what I had planned,” even if I had been smart enough 38 years ago to plan something.

You know, I’m OK with that.  I’m OK with what God set before us. Of course, what makes it all OK is that God has granted me a wonderful gift in the person of Linda Joann Kay. If one is to take a journey whose steps are not always planned, a man could not ask for a better journey partner, wife and friend. For this I am thankful!

No comments: