Sunday, June 21, 2015

BEING ALONE

THE TRUTH IS I LIKE TRAVELING ALONE. I enjoy flying alone. I enjoy being in a rental car alone. I enjoy having a hotel room all to myself, and I don’t even mind eating alone.  I guess you could call me a loner, or in the parlance of the psychological world, an introvert.

All the above is true, except for one exception. I love having Linda with me! When I travel to seminars and conferences I miss being able to turn around and talk with Linda; to point out something I see along the way, or to share something I just learned.  Yes, I am a loner who doesn’t always like to be alone.  It’s great to have a good traveling partner. One that is Okay with my introverted, not always wanting to go and do something with someone, personality.

The reality is, I don’t like being separated from my wife. I need to have the one who loves me and the one I love, close at hand.  We don’t even have to be in conversation, it is just enough knowing that she is near.

This week at VBS we talked about “God’s Crazy Love,” and as part of our activity with the kids we learned Romans 8:38-39 (complete with hand motions.) The Apostle Paul wrote to the Roman Church,

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This portion of God’s Word is an important reminder that wherever we may be, or wherever we may go, or whatever may happen to us, there is nothing that can “separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!”

And that’s a truth that even an introverted loner can live with and say, “AMEN!”

No comments: