Sunday, July 12, 2015

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN

I’M TRULY AMAZED! I’ve just discovered that I’m in the top .08% when it comes to my household income!  That makes me the 4,516,051st richest person in the world!  Who would have guessed? Now, it must also be noted that part of my household income also includes what my wife brings in through her business, still, I am a little overwhelmed . . . but truthfully, sadly so.

According to my salary and benefits I make about $50.00 an hour, while the average worker in Zimbabwe makes $0.53! I know that it most likely costs less to live in Africa and there isn’t that much to buy, but I can’t  help feeling guilty about my wealth versus the wealth of those who live in 2/3rds of the world.

As I have been thinking the past few weeks about poverty in the world and its attendant inequities, my mind has been drawn to Jesus’ words recorded in Luke 12:48, “But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”

Many of us will say, “Well, I give my 10% in the offering. And I even give a little more when there’s a special offering, that’s what the Lord requires.” But it seems to me that Jesus is always calling His followers to go above and beyond, just like He did for us! According to Jesus’ words if we have been entrusted with much, then I must be ready to give much.  This giving comes in the form of monetary gifts, but also in gifts of compassionate service to those with less.  The one with the strong back helps the one with the weak. The one with knowledge help the one seeking knowledge. The one with a car gives a rise to the one without.

To put it another way, “We have been blessed to be a blessing.”

By the way if you want to see where you stand among the wealthy in the world, point your browser to: http://www.globalrichlist.com/

No comments: