Sunday, August 16, 2015

HOVERING

RECENTLY, I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY to officiate at an outdoor wedding. While waiting for the wedding to commence I noticed one of the guests of the wedding flying a drone. While I think drones are pretty cool technology, albeit without some drawbacks, I was a little concerned about having a drone hovering behind me filming the wedding.  Thankfully, that did not take place. I don’t mind being watched over from above, but I would rather it be God, rather than some unknown drone operator.

To be honest, there are times I do feel God’s watchful Presence, and then there are times that I do not. I suppose it derives from the idea that if God is watching over me, then all things should be sweetness and light, but sweetness and light is not always the case.

This past week I was reading in Genesis 1 where we read about God creating the heaven and the earth and all its subsequent parts, including we humans. As I was reading  the opening verses I was caught by verse 2. “Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.”

Here’s what grabbed me: though the earth was formless and empty (void) God was there. Though the deep waters were shadowed in darkness, the Holy Spirit was hovering there. This short verse can bring each of us sustained hope. When our lives are formless and empty, when our lives are shrouded in darkness over fathomless deep, God is there!  God is creating out of the emptiness. The Spirit is present in our darkness.

My prayer for you today, is that when you experience emptiness and darkness that you will also experience the very real presence of God hovering over you with His grace and His love and His recreating power at work within the depths of your soul.

No comments: