Sunday, August 23, 2015

THAT DREADED DAY

THERE WAS A DAY I DREADED.  No, not the trip to the dentist, though that was dreaded, too. The day I am referring to is Back-to-School-Shopping! I hated it with a passion! Not because it signaled the end of summer, but rather it signaled long hours in the dressing room with my mom bringing me ever larger pairs of pants.  You see to say it nicely, I had to shop in the “husky” section of the store. All-in-all it was a mixture of humiliation and a deep desire to be instantly 20 pounds smaller.

Of course shopping in the “husky” section also meant that I would not be wearing any cool clothes the first day of school. For some reason back then they couldn’t make cool clothes in large sizes. I never could figure that one out. Oh well.

The reason for my walk down memory lane was not to make you feel sorry for my plump little self (I think that’s an oxymoron), rather it’s to bring us to the point of seeing that there are things more important than body size and cool clothes.

The reality is our culture puts too much weight on weight and what we wear. Yes, it’s important to be in good health, but when we use girth or glamour as a guide to goodness we have missed our call as those who bear the image of God.

Our call is to love one another . . . period. Our call is to be people of encouragement.  Our call is to look upon the heart, just like God does. As recorded in 1 Samuel 16:7 “ . . . for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

So, my dear reader, if you need to lose few pounds, feel free to do so. If you want to wear some of the latest fashions, go ahead (just watch the godliness factor). If you want to exercise and run a marathon, by all means go for it. But remember, when all is said and done, and we stand before the throne in whose Image we were created, He will look at our heart. Let’s get it in good shape.

No comments: